Our website uses cookies. By continuing we assume your permission to deploy cookies, as detailed in our cookies policy. Accept

Discussion Topics

13th November 2014

George and Hirsch hit Romania

Due to Romania’s inclusion into the EU this January, Romanian people have successfully begun making their way into various countries across the Union to find new work and lifestyles.

Since the turn of the year the team at Digital Gravitas have successfully relocated several Romanian developers and designers into roles across the capital into some highly reputable companies and start-ups.

Off the back of this success, Dan and I were lucky enough to be giving the opportunity to take the Digital Gravitas brand to Eastern Europe and attend “Droidcon Eastern Europe” in Bucharest. Our intention was to use this unique opportunity to integrate ourselves into the Romanian tech community, spread our own name and further increase our network – to say we were excited was an understatement!

Prior to leaving, we begun arranging meetings with people we knew would be in attendance and creating a picture of what to expect from the trip. Having been to Droidcon in London and Paris previously we had high hopes for the conference itself – it is renowned within the industry for giving insight into the latest Android technology and is always swarmed with developers and designers who thrive on the latest tech.

Arriving at the event on the Friday morning the first thing we noticed was that the conference was on a smaller scale to Droidcon events we had previously attended. There was 200 attendees across the two days but in a lot of ways this was more profitable for us. As the only recruiters from outside of Romania we had the opportunity to introduce ourselves to everyone who had a ticket – an opportunity that we really cherished. Luckily we were also sharing a hotel with Dan Romescu (the event organiser) and a variety of other mobile manager from across Romania, Germany and Bulgaria. As the event had an Android focus I personally jumped in and out of the tech talks to meet several iOS Developers from Bucharest in a variety of coffee shops around the city. One meeting that particularly stuck out for me was when I met a 16 year old called Seb who had already been coding Objective C for 4 years – definitely one for the future!

As usual at Droidcon, the tech talks were of a high standard. We were thrown insights into everything from Drone Apps, Security Software, Augmented Reality and the iOS vs Android debate ha ;) Having already made contact with a majority of the mobile community in Bucharest, our faces weren’t unrecognised and after the days talks were over a couple of guys from an agency in Bucharest began introducing us to some of the local liqueurs.

What was most refreshing was the way we were received by people throughout our time in Romania. From the hotel cleaners to Senior Mobile Developers, everyone was extremely welcoming and very impressed by the fact that we had made the time to visit Eastern Europe for a conference like this. Moving forward, we have been assured tickets to a variety of conferences in Cluj, Bulgaria and Krakow, all tech orientated of course

What Dan and I both took away from the conference is even more belief in the fact that that networking is beneficial (even when thousands of miles away from home)! Just as in London, face to face time with people is of massive value to us in this Digital Age. We were both very impressed by the high quality of innovation and work ethic shown by the Romanian mobile industry and it has become apparent why techies from this place are so well received in London. We hope to stay in touch with everyone we met during our time out there and have already begun making arrangements with some for their move over this way when we hope to reciprocate our mutual love for local alcohol.

• 0 Comments
Please register or login to comment.

Login To my Dashboard

Login with Facebook Login Forgotten Password?

Gravitas Registration Form

Login with Facebook

Apply For Position

Attached CV

J.d2014-CV.pdf

Attach a different CV?

Cover Note (Optional)

word(s) remaining Apply Today

Update Personal Settings